Are Puddles Forming in Your Lot? Your Pavement Might Be Rutting
It might not seem like a big deal at first, but lingering puddles sitting on your asphalt driveway or commercial parking lot aren’t something to ignore. These standing puddles are an indication that your asphalt is rutting, or deteriorating right before your eyes. Continue reading to learn more about puddle formation and rutting prevention in Prince William County, VA.
Causes of rutting
Though the result is the same, there isn’t just one cause of rutting. These are the reasons asphalt can begin to rut and crumble:
- Constant vehicle weight: As you can imagine, constantly having a few thousand pounds sitting on your asphalt can have a negative impact over the years. It may take some time, but the wheels will eventually create indents in the pavement. You may not notice the impressions at first glance, but you’ll certainly see them after a rainstorm.
- Softening pavement: One of asphalt’s benefits is that it’s a relatively flexible material that can handle the earth’s natural shifts without cracking or buckling. The downside is that asphalt tends to get softer and more flexible as time goes on. This problem is only compounded by hot temperatures and the constant vehicle weight mentioned above.
- Poor installation: Sadly, a parking lot or driveway can be doomed from the start if it’s not installed correctly. Poorly skilled or inexperienced contractors may neglect to properly compact the asphalt, which means the surface will be less durable and prone to rutting and puddle formation.
Avoid rutting with these tips
If there’s any good news, it’s that rutting prevention in Prince William County, VA is fairly easy. Follow the tips below, and you should never have to worry about rutting or puddles on your asphalt:
- Choose the right paving company: Shoddy installation can easily be prevented by hiring qualified contractors from the outset. Licensed pros, like our team at Paveco Inc., use high-quality materials and the right rollers to ensure proper compaction. You can rest easy knowing your driveway or parking lot will stand the test of time when you choose our team.
- Make repairs early and often: Even properly installed asphalt can develop cracks or potholes as time passes. Avoid puddles forming in parking lots in Prince William County, VA and prevent that damage from worsening by having repairs made as soon as you notice them. In addition to preserving the look of your parking lot, making repairs as soon as needed can save you a ton of money in the long run.
- Sealcoat the surface: The best defense against rutting and puddle formation is to have your asphalt sealcoated every few years. Sealcoating protects against the elements and strengthens the surface as a whole. Though situations vary, experts generally recommend having your driveway or parking lot sealcoated every one to three years.
If you’re worried about puddles forming in parking lots in Prince William County, VA, then call Paveco Inc. to get a free estimate today! We can prevent rutting and puddle formation by installing your parking lot right the first time and by making high-quality repairs that’ll stand the test of time.
Categorised in: Commercial Parking Lots